Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Commentary Video 1 Private Universe

In watching the first video from the Private Universe project, I was reminded of the ways I was taught mathematics and how I hear in many ways it is still done so today. I often hear of terms such as “teaching to the test” or “application of formulas.” As I saw some a few of the interviews when these students reached high school, they confessed to having learned and remembering little when taught in this manner.
This video also brought into focus the question “Would students be able to solve problems if not given formulas?” As was shown in elementary grades, students were able to answer problems of combinations (shirts and jeans) through various methods on their own (drawing symbols, using letters, etc.). The video also showed other effective methods (allowing students to work in groups and discuss/defend their conclusions) that appeared to be more educational than traditional lecture.
I have recently looked at a version of the new math standards NJ is considering, and from what I have seen there is a focus to incorporate findings such as those identified in this video. The newer set of standards seem to focus more on problem solving and have a goal of learning less in quantity, but more of quality in the limited topics being taught. Perhaps this renewed focus will allow teachers to change the culture of classrooms from lecture/formula application to methods identified in this video (coming to conclusions through manipulatives or symbolic representation, creating arguments to justify logic used in solving a problem) that appear more worthwhile and allow students to gain more of an understanding.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to hear that there appears to be fewer standards for math. Too many standards forces teachers to move at a rapid pace. This causes students who fall behind to become lost and disinterested. If teachers have fewer standards to teach then more time can be spent on reteaching topics that students do not understand and formative assessments.

    Also, I hope videos like this one change the culture in math classes. It seems like math teachers are typically the most resistant to changing their strategies. We, as future math teachers, must take note of the point that this video is trying to get across. We need to go into classrooms and change the way math is taught. It is necessary for us to step up to the challenge of getting our students to think mathematically, critically, and creatively. It will be these thinking skills that will prepare students for college and the workplace in the twenty-first century.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete