Monday, March 22, 2010

Online Manipulative Deal or No Deal

For this week's online manipulative, I wanted to share a link to the game Deal or No Deal. I used this once in a class for a lesson on probability. The teacher can play the game with the students to provide an interactive lesson.
The game essentially starts with the teacher selecting a student to choose one case. Six other cases are chosen before te dealer makes an offer to purchase the original case. Probability or odds can be inserted into the lesson by asking the class 'How many cases left are higher than the offer presented? What is the probability or odds that you will have a case higher than that of the offer which was presented?'
There are also game sheets available so each student can work along as the teacher operates the online version. Students become involved as the teacher calls on different individuals to open the cases as the game progresses.


http://www.nbc.com/Deal_or_No_Deal/game/flash.shtml

1 comment:

  1. Keith,

    I went to the site that you posted. It looks like a lot of fun!

    Marc

    ReplyDelete