Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Project Universe Video 2 Commentary

In viewing video 2 of this Project, I saw a correlation between what we learned in class this week and the focus of the video: recognition of patterns. In class we were not only to find a solution to the Pegs and Towers of Hanoi projects, but try and recognize a pattern that would allow us to consistently replicate the solution. I noticed this was the case in the video as well as students were asked to recognize patterns in figuring out the 4 story project. This does require a higher order of thinking as students have to think more abstractly rather than just concrete replication of a formula.
I also felt this video expanded upon and reinforced the importance of the cognitive processes in mathematical reasoning. Teachers in the first half of the video and students in the second portion were continually asked to justify their answer. Questions were asked such as “How do you know you have all of the answers?” “Can you be sure you are correct?”
The final point I wanted to comment on was the various methods of problem solving evident in this video. Individuals used various mechanisms (drawing illustrations, tables, trial and error) to attempt solving the 4 story problem, again highlighting the individuality of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment