Sunday, February 7, 2010

Towers of Hanoi

I attempted this project on a child I counsel who has ADHD. We did do this on the Internet, not using the physical manipulative itself. The child was able to get up to four disks, but then had clear difficulty and exhibited a level of frustration so we ceased at that point. We did discuss some of the thought process behind it and the child was able to identify some pattern. Although we did not get to the desired seven levels, this did serve as a good tool to have an open discussion of the thought process as well to point out to him/her that focus can be attained on an academic task. Quite often children with ADHD get caught looking out the window, playing with random objecs in their desk, etc.--but maniupulatives such as this can be utilized to show that focus can be attained when the student is actively engaged. I also made a point to provide verbal praise and point out success achieved in hopes the child will learn to translate some of these attentive skills in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment